Register    Login

The History of Bethlehem Temple Apostolic Faith Church

Minimize

Old Bethlehem Temple















 

In the year of 1926, the Lord spoke to Evang. Eunie Anderson to begin a church in Mt. Clemens (Clinton Township), MI. After receiving the call, she spoke with her pastor, the late Bishop Samuel N. Hancock, who gave his blessings. Our church would become the first offspring of Greater Bethlehem Temple No. 1, under his direction. Evang. Anderson moved by faith as the Lord had directed and began having services at the home of Sis. Laura Elders Bass on Hardy Street. Evang. Anderson asked the Lord to place His approval upon the work by saving one soul during the first service; the Lord granted her request. Under Evang. Anderson’s leadership the church grew spiritually and soon the house was too small to accommodate the membership. She, along with her fellow laborers, purchased property and built a new place of worship to be called Bethlehem Temple Apostolic Faith Church at 34334 Hardy Street in Mt. Clemens.

Eld. Armstrong, Pastor Lucille Valentine, and Eld. Battle became the2nd, 3rd, and 4th pastors respectively, and continued to preach One Lord, One Faith and One Baptism. After the death of Elder Battle in 1949, the saints sought the Lord through prayer and fasting for a new pastor. In September 1949, the late Pastor Daisy L. Culpepper was inspired by God to take the reins of pastorate. Special bible classes were held for teenagers and younger children. God continued to prosper the church with dining facilities, rest rooms, and sitting rooms.

After her death, the late Dist. Eld. B.T. Scott instructed the church to stay together as a family, and to continue in the Apostles’ Doctrine. The Asst. Pastor, the late Eld. Alex Kitchen was then appointed to serve as interim pastor until such time the church was given a pastor. In September 1967, under the guiding hands of the late Bish. R.P. Paddock and Dist. Eld. Scott, the church membership voted overwhelmingly for Eld. Kenneth J. Hoke to become pastor. The membership found comfort in knowing their pastor was a Holy Ghost filled minister endowed with wisdom and knowledge of teaching and preaching God’s word. In July 1974, 3 ½ acres of land was purchased. With the help of the late Pastor Clyde Colbert and Eld. Felix Gaylord, 22645 Quinn Road would become the new location for the church.

From 1989 to March 1995, Eld. Bradley served as Assistant Pastor to Elder Hoke. Upon Bishop Kenneth Hoke leaving Bethlehem Temple Church to complete the work begun by his father, the late Dist. Eld. Hoodie J. Hoke, Eld D.L. Bradley became the pastor and was installed October 7, 1995, by the late Assistant Presiding Bishop of the PAW, Bish. David L. Ellis  of Greater Grace Temple.

It was in July 2001 that the church underwent a major construction of a $300,000 plus addition to the church, increasing both the size and seating capacity of the sanctuary as well as the addition of much needed office space.

What was needed was a new parking lot, which, since the construction of 2001 and because of the economy we were unable to complete. As of the autumn of the year, September, 2012, the LORD JESUS has blessed with a benefactor whom we did not know and who called the church and bequeathed to the church a gift of $130,000 to be used to build a brand new 68 stall parking lot which was completed and dedicated. The Lord saw our need and did what we could not do. To God be the glory!

Pastor Bradley has four children: Eric Cook, Krysten Schuler, Jason Bradley, Danielle; and nine grandchildren: Wynter Nicole Cook,  Brooklyn Simone Cook, Skye Nesia Cook, Autumn Cymone Schuler, Camryn Rayne Bradley, Nolyn Curtis-Easley Bradley, Addyson Lorelle Bradley, Corey Lee Bradley, Austyn Lance Bradley.

Pastor Bradley served as president of the Quinn Road Community Housing Development Corporation and served as President of the Macomb County Ministerial Alliance (MCMA), an alliance of Macomb County Pastors, whose mission is to better the social and economic conditions of minorities in Macomb County.

He has served on the boards of New Detroit, the Southeastern Region of the Red Cross, Governor Granholm’s Metro Detroit Quality of Life Improvement Association, the Macomb County Salvation Army, the Ethics Committee of then Mount Clemens General Hospital and the Macomb Advisory Council of the Saint John Providence Health System.  He is frequently called upon to collaborate with community activist and politicians to address issues of concern in the Macomb County.

Pastor Bradley is very active in the Michigan Right to Life movement, frequently speaking at their events as well as twice yearly participating in a prayer vigil in front of abortion clinics.  

Pastor Bradley and the Bethlehem Temple church family continues to move forward with the vision God has given him for the people at Bethlehem Temple Church. This servant is steadfast, unmovable, and always abounding in the work of the Lord. As the book of Acts closed in mid-thought, signifying that the work of the 1st century church was not yet finished, so also will this church history end, not yet completed. This is to signify that the works of our Lord Jesus are ever going forward, moving progressively onward until He cries out on that great getting up morning: “Well done, though good and faithful church, enter into the joy of the Lord.”

 

 New Bethlehem Temple

 

 

Copyright 2014 by Bethlehem Temple Apostolic Faith Church